Saturday, September 1, 2012

I Have a Feeling

The last few weeks, I've had a strange feeling in my gut.  I might compare it to a word of caution, a "heads-up", or even a warning to heed.

In my mind, I'm at the beach on a gorgeous, green-flag day.   Basking in the sunshine, I kick off my flops and begin to stroll along the shore.  I cannot help but smile as I wade farther into the salty water.  Like a dry sponge, I soak in the calm surrounding me.

But suddenly, in the midst of all that is beautiful and serene, I sense a quiet rumble, an unfamiliar stirring.  The once-tranquil waters have begun to churn, becoming choppy and suddenly precarious. And just over the horizon, I can see a storm gaining momentum.

I pray I'm wrong.  But still, I have a feeling.

You see, we've spent the past month completing the final responsibilities of the Home Study phase of our adoption journey, specifically the education phase.  Reading, reading, and even MORE reading.  Books, blogs, more books, more blogs, and the mandated, 12-hour, on-line Hague Convention training have nearly consumed me.

I love to read and I love to learn.  I take advantage of opportunities to grow in my knowledge on any given subject, but the last couple of weeks takes the cake.

I've had to read about orphanages, institutionalized children, developmental delays, soothing behaviors, sensory processing disorder, reactive attachment disorder, bonding, neglect, abuse, fetal alcohol syndrome, malnutrition, cognitive and emotional concerns, and post-adoption depression syndrome, just to name a few.

With knowledge comes understanding and with understanding comes empathy.  I get this. Indefinitely, this information will help prepare me to parent our little girl.  But this knowledge also ties up my mind and stomach in knots.  Bottom line: I'm afraid and I'm anxious.

And those are two things I despise:  fear and worry.

They also just happen to be two things I'm commanded by my Lord not to do.  Remember these often-repeated words throughout scripture?

"Do not fear."  
"Do not worry."  

Yeah. I do, too.

And yet...I find myself consumed with both.

I worry about my daughter's physical health.
I worry that she is not being fed nourishing foods or protected from diseases.
I worry about her mental state.
I worry about her lying in a crib for hours and hours, neglected and understimulated.
I worry about her emotional needs not being met.
I worry that she is not being held enough or kissed enough or doted over enough.

I'm afraid she won't attach or bond to us quickly when she comes home.
I'm afraid of the "honeymoon" stage wearing off too quickly and the hard reality setting in.
I'm afraid of sleep-deprivation...again.
I'm afraid I won't be able to meet her needs, especially when she is grieving the loss of all she's ever known.
I'm afraid of being isolated during the "cocooning" phase.
I'm afraid our family and friends won't understand.
I'm afraid I won't have the strength, the patience, the perseverance, and most of all, the love I need to be my little girl's mother.
I'm afraid one day my husband and I will look at each other and say, "What the h--- were we thinking?"

And deep down, I am afraid that even though we will take our child out of the institution, it will be a struggle to take the institution out of our child.

I'm not trying to be negative.  Really I'm not.  Just honest.  It's hard, excruciatingly hard, to read what we've read and not let it affect you.

I've had trouble resting the past couple of weeks.  I've gone to bed anxious and have had less-than-pleasant dreams about not being prepared and ready.

Our social worker says to "expect the worst and pray for the best."

We are.

And with every prayer uttered on our Indian daughter's behalf, we squeak one out for us.
We are casting our cares, clinging to the only One capable of silencing the winds and waves raging within us.
We rest and rely on the One who loves our daughter(s) immeasurably more than we could ever imagine loving them.

Storm or no storm on the horizon, we will not drown.  In contrast, we will rest securely in the promise of His presence and His provision, for our daughter and for us.

The God who called us WILL equip us.  No doubt.  I have a feeling.

Would you consider praying for us, too?

8 comments:

  1. I hear you, sister! I feel EXACTLY the same way! I've been reading a book specifically about toddler adoption and I feel like we are looking straight into our own hurricane Isaac. It's not our little guy's fault. I know bringing him home is going to be work and that God knows we are the best family for him to grown up in. But the closer that we get to bringing him home, the more I watch our girls playing so happily and the more I look at just the four of us and wonder if we're about to be turned upside down- possibly forever in a negative way! At the same time, I can NOT WAIT to get him home. Such a strange, strange time in the process and such conflicting emotions multiple times per day.
    We just have to trust that God knows what is best and had this all planned out before time began. I also have to tell myself that my life is not my own to live how I please! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much for affirming my feelings and thoughts, Lynette! All the conflicting thoughts have made me feel as if I'm CrAzY! But I have to remind myself of my friend's sweet words, "You're not crazy, you're called!" I also have to remind myself to die daily, take up this cross and follow Him. At least we're in the boat together--literally! Thanks for your encouragement, Lynette!

      Delete
  2. Oh Michelle my heart aches for you. I pray your mind won't stay on these things. Right this minute there is peace in your house, there is a full night sleep waiting for you, there are children in your home who are fully attached and healthy. Please enjoy that. Soak it up!
    Adoption isn't the fairy tale it is made out to be. But it has redemption written all over it! We are here to help anyway we can!

    "whatever is true whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Philippians 4:8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sweet Beth...you are so wise and so encouraging! Thank you for your understanding! You are so right about adoption. It is the purest picture of the gospel. A loving Father wanting us and accepting us just as we are, but refusing to leave us there. I have so, so much to learn through this journey. I love Phil. 4:8! It's actually painted in my oldest daughter's room beneath a mural of a beautiful castle. I guess I need to read it more! :) Thank you for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, and yes! It's nearly impossible to read all the information, and go through the Hague training, and not come out with glazed eyes. I so appreciate your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Auburn! My husband keeps reminding me that if anyone else read all we had to read, they would feel exactly the same way. I KNOW you understand! Glad to know there are others traveling and trusting this same path. Praying for you guys, too!

      Delete
  4. I cannot imagine the waiting process of adoption and all that you are going through. I will commit to pray. May God bring you to a deep place of rest and trust in Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your prayers truly mean SO much! Even with the questions and worries, amazingly, we are at rest in Him. Thank you, Barbie!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...